We have the pleasure of inviting you to an educational walk within the Białystok City Days:
The Lost Mayor of Białystok – a Walk in the Footsteps of Seweryn Nowakowski
June 23rd, 2019, 11 AM
duration: 2 h
start: Ludwik Zamenhof Centre, 19 Warszawska Street
During the walk, we will visit the places associated with Seweryn Nowakowski’s in Białystok, as well as investments that were realized when he was the host of the city. We will also try to answer the question why Seweryn Nowakowski was in the top ten of the “Białystokers of the Centennial” poll – among people who had a significant impact on the development and history of our city.
Seweryn Nowakowski (1894-1939) was the last mayor of pre-war Białystok. He was renowned as a great organizer and host. In the memory of contemporaries and the following generations, he is viewed as an energetic man with a vision of the development of Błalystok. It was during his tenure and on his initiative that, among others, Planty park, Marshal Piłsudski People’s House (later known as Aleksander Węgierski Drama Theater) or Market Hall in Bojary came to life. He stayed with his inhabitants to the very end, paying with his life.
Initially, in 1931, he was appointed to the position of the city’s governmental commissioner. He was doing his job well. He found recognition in the eyes of Białystok residents, among various elites of the city and central authorities, and the confirmation of this status was taking office as a mayor of Białystok in 1934. Seweryn Nowakowski restored the city budget balance, started building sewage system, electrified the city, ordered chaotic buildings. During his term of office, many investments were initiated and completed, which changed Białystok from a neglected and devastated by Russian occupiers place into a real city, where living became more pleasant and safe. This constructive work was interrupted by the outbreak of World War II. The Russians arrested the mayor. To this day, we do not know how and where he died.