For the 23rd time we have the pleasure of welcoming you at the Białystok Assumption BVM church on the series of Cathedral Organ Concerts. The turn of July and August is traditionally the time when we meet to listen to the wonderful centuries-old heritage of organ music. On Friday evenings the interior of the neo-gothic temple is filled with larger and smaller, monumental and subtle, written centuries ago and modern organ works.
This year, we are joining the great celebration of the jubilee of regaining independence by Poland. On this occasion, all invited artists, both from Poland and abroad, will perform at least one organ piece of a Polish composer.
We will hear, among others, masterpieces from Polish tablatures from the 16th and 17th centuries, when Polish organ music, like other areas of life, experienced its golden age and presented the highest European level. We will also reach for the music of late Romanticism, whose tone was set by Mieczysław Surzyński and Feliks Nowowiejski, as well as for contemporary music, where the name of Marian Sawa stands out.
The 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century were a time when Poles, deprived of their own state, had to fight to maintain and preserve their identity in terms of nationality, religion and culture. The temple in which the concerts take place was built in a period, when the country did not have its sovereignty. It is the outcome of the enlargement of the Old Church from 1900 to 1905. The instrument from 1908 had to wait a decade to have performed on it the thankful “Te Deum laudamus” for regained freedom and longed for independence.
I hope that this year’s concerts will not only be a great artistic experience, but will allow us to reflect on our national identity and respect for values, such as freedom and independence.
To all those who honor us with their presence at this year’s organ recitals, I wish you, as well as all performers, great reception and many emotions.
Józef Kotowicz PhD
artistic director of the Cathedral Organ Concerts
Cathedral Organ Concerts
Assumption BVM Archcathedral Basilica in Białystok
tickets: 10 PLN, available at the cathedral before the concerts
- July 6th, 20:30 – Ville Urponen / Finland
- July 13th, 19:15 – Bogdan Narloch / Koszalin
- July 20th, 19:15 – David Troiano / USA
- July 27th, 19:15 – Przemysław Kapituła / Warsaw
- August 3rd, 19:15 (Stara Fara) – Ennio Cominetti / Italy, CANTAMEN vocal group / Białystok
- August 10th, 19:15 – Urszula Grahm / Warsaw
- August 17th, 19:15 – Józef Kotowicz / Białystok, TRIO-SONATA instrumental group / Russia: Vladimir Sklyarenko – oboe, Elena Lelchuk – accompaniment
Podlasie Organ Concerts
- St. Casimir church in Białystok
- July 8th, 19:00 – Ville Urponen / Finland
- July 29th, 19:00 – David di Fiore / USA
- Our Lady of Fatima church in Białystok
- July 15th, 18:50 – Bogdan Narloch / Koszalin
- August 12th, 18:50 – Urszula Grahm / Warszawa
- Exaltation of the Holy Cross church in Hajnówka
- July 8th, 18:45 – Kseniya Pogorelaya / Belarus, Stanisław Kuk – violin / Białystok
- July 22nd, 18:45 – David Troiano / USA, CANTAMEN vocal group / Białystok
- August 5th, 18:45 – Ennio Cominetti / Italy, Krystyna Gołaszewska – flute / Białystok
- August 19th, 18:45 – Józef Kotowicz / Białystok, TRIO-SONATA instrumental group / Russia: Vladimir Sklyarenko – oboe, Elena Lelchuk – accompaniment
- St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus church in Białowieża
- July 8th, 12:00 – Kseniya Pogorelaya / Belarus
- July 22nd, 12:00 – David Troiano / USA
- Most-Holy Trinity cathedral in Drohiczyn
- July 22nd, 20:00 – Marijim Thoene / USA